The Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (GFDD) is currently partnering with universities, cultural and community centers, public and private institutions, NGOs and national and international organizations to present the Dominican Film Showcase (DFS).
Join us as we spread the word about what is happening in the Dominican Republic by showcasing up-and-coming and seasoned filmmakers.
Dominican culture, music, and traditions are quickly becoming household references but the country’s film industry remains relatively unknown. Global Foundation for Democracy and Development aims to change that by showcasing a sample of the best films produced recently in the Dominican Republic, by Dominican filmmakers, about Dominican and global topics.
Through a series of screenings accompanied by question and answer sessions with filmmakers and subject specialists, the films present the Dominican Republic under a constructive and engaging light while introducing the work of aspiring and seasoned Dominican filmmakers to new audiences.
- Facilitate the enrichment of the film culture of the Dominican Republic and bring its unique brand of cinema to a wider audience.
- Create opportunities for networking and social interaction around Dominican topics.
- Utilize the seventh art as a platform for discussion and as a medium for enhancing social awareness and promoting constructive change.
- Raise awareness internationally of issues of historic and cultural importance to the DR community.
- Cultivate an appreciation of Dominican cinematographic talent.
- Encourage the advancement and funding of Dominican Republic film and multimedia productions.
- Further an appreciation of the cinematographic arts and help advance the multimedia industry in the Dominican Republic.
- Encourage potential partnerships for international co-productions.
- Aid the professional development of Dominican human resources in the field of film.
GFDD, BHD-Leon Bank and Latin Women’s Association Commemorate 175th Anniversary of Dominican IndependenceMarch 6, 2019
- June 28, 2018
- February 23, 2018
- February 21, 2018
- December 2, 2017
- October 20, 2017
- October 6, 2017
“María Montez”, the Story of the First Dominican Woman in Hollywood, captures the heart of WashingtoniansSeptember 21, 2017