GFDD Participates in the OAS Dialogue with Civil SocietyJune 23, 2015
The 45th Regular Session of the General Assembly of the Organization of American States (OAS), was held mid June, 2015, at the OAS Headquarters in Washington, D.C. with the theme “Present and Future of the Organization of American States.” In this context, on Sunday, June 14, Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (GFDD) participated in two special dialogues between representatives of civil society and other social actors, with the Secretary
General of the OAS, Mr. Luis Almagro. More than 400 people representatives of civil society and other social actors from all over the region participated in the event.
Civil society activities during the event focused on identifying recommendations to the Member States on the 4 pillars of the OAS’s work. These pillars are: Promoting Democracy; Defending Human Rights; Ensuring a Multidimensional Approach to Security; and Fostering Integral Development and
GFDD is a civil society organization affiliated with the Organization of American States (OAS) and active supporter of the organization’s objectives, the InterAmerican System, and the Summit of the Americas program. As a member of this community of the civil society, GFDD is always part of the annual OAS General Assembly and the Summit of the Americas process.
Some of the participants’ interventions included
statements as the following:
- “We need a new OAS that tackle inequality”.
- “We want a more active role of the OAS”.
- “We don’t want the OAS to influence our country’s sovereignty”.
- “OAS needs to defend human rights for all, including gay and other groups”.
Mr. Almagro stated:
- “Civil society has a vital role in our region’s development”.
- “We will fight for more rights for more people in our region”.
- “Every freedom is important, we will respect every country’s sovereignty”.
- “We will works towards mutual understanding and respect
between all of us”.
More information on the 45th Regular Session of the OAS General Assembly 2015: