As a part of its mission to promote the understanding and appreciation of the Dominican culture, values and heritage, and to create opportunities for discussions of contemporary issues relevant to the Dominican society in the homeland and abroad, GFDD reaches out to the Dominican community living the New York Metro Area and to all those interested in the Dominican culture by organizing ongoing events: Dominican Get-togethers in the Big Apple.
Every three months, GFDD creates an opportunity for wide audiences to enjoy a Dominican movie, meet a Dominican prominent figure, and participate in a discussion on topics of interest to the Dominican community in the US and in their homeland.
At the same time, the events are a part of the GFDD’s mission to facilitate and support a collaboration and exchange between the Dominicans in the home country and those that live abroad as well as the Dominicans and the greater NY community.
The objectives of this program are:
- To enjoy and celebrate Dominican culture, its prominent figures and its upcoming talents;
- To promote a better understanding of the Dominican culture’s richness and diversity;
- To create a space for reflection and discussion of topics relevant to the Dominican community in the US and in the homeland;
- To create an opportunity for networking and an exchange of ideas and experiences among Dominicans in the US and in the home country as well as with the greater NY community;
- To strengthen diaspora ties with the DR, as well as its host country and to promote better understanding amongst them;
- To provide an opportunity for collaboration with other Dominican, Hispanic and like-minded organizations in the US.