The presence of the vibrant and dynamic Dominican community is well acknowledged in cities across the United States. Dominican culture, music, and traditions are quickly becoming household references but the country’s film industry remains relatively unknown. Global Foundation for Democracy and Development aims to change that by showcasing a sample of the best films produced recently in the Dominican Republic, by Dominican filmmakers, about Dominican topics. To do this GFDD is partnering with the Organization of American States, the Art Museum of the Americas, the Dominican Embassy in the US and the Dominican Mission to the Organization of American States.
Beginning in Washington DC, the Dominican Film Showcase will present, share, and celebrate the stories, characters and history of the Dominican Republic with an international audience.
The Film Showcase aims to:
- Facilitate the enrichment of the film culture of the Dominican Republic and bring its unique brand of cinema to a wider audience
- Utilize the seventh art as a platform for discussion and as a medium for enhancing social awareness and promoting constructive change
- Raise awareness internationally of issues of historic and cultural importance to the DR community
- Cultivate an appreciation of Dominican cinematographic talent
- Encourage the advancement and funding for DR film and multimedia productions
- Further an appreciation of the cinematographic arts and help advance the multimedia industry in the Dominican Republic
- Encourage potential partnerships for international co-productions
- Aid the professional development of Dominican human resources in the field of film